The Office of Enrollment Management vigorously supports the University of Michigan's mission and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. In particular, the office has made a number of commitments that serve as a foundation for our work with students, their families, faculty, and staff. Those commitments include the following:
We commit to increasing diversity, which is expressed in myriad forms, including race and ethnicity, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, language, culture, national origin, religious commitments, age, (dis)ability status, veteran status, and political perspective.
We commit to working actively to challenge and respond to bias, harassment, and discrimination. We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
We commit to pursuing deliberate efforts to ensure that our campus is a place where differences are welcomed, different perspectives are respectfully heard and where every individual feels a sense of belonging and inclusion. We know that by building a critical mass of diverse groups on campus and creating a vibrant climate of inclusiveness, we can more effectively leverage the resources of diversity to advance our collective capabilities.
DE&I YEAR ONE GOALS
The Office of Enrollment Management team is committed to the following priorities during fiscal year 2017:
- Utilizing diverse search committees and interview teams during hiring processes.
- Using targeted outreach strategies to create diverse and qualified applicant pools.
- Performing retention and exit interviews to improve our work environment and experiences.
- Rewarding staff members for participation in DE&I events, programs, and training.
- Developing and maintaining staff enrichment opportunities, including brown bag lunches, speakers, and a diversity track for our annual staff conference.
- Providing extensive review of benefits and services available to existing staff.
- Creating an annual recognition award with a specific focus on DE&I efforts.
- Beginning a job audit and equity review process.
We invite you to read our entire Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategic Plan.