The Office of Enrollment Management vigorously supports the University of Michigan's mission and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. In particular, the office has made a number of commitments that serve as a foundation for our work with students, their families, faculty, and staff. Those commitments include the following:
We commit to increasing diversity, which is expressed in myriad forms, including race and ethnicity, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, language, culture, national origin, religious commitments, age, (dis)ability status, veteran status, and political perspective.
We commit to working actively to challenge and respond to bias, harassment, and discrimination. We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
We commit to pursuing deliberate efforts to ensure that our campus is a place where differences are welcomed, different perspectives are respectfully heard and where every individual feels a sense of belonging and inclusion. We know that by building a critical mass of diverse groups on campus and creating a vibrant climate of inclusiveness, we can more effectively leverage the resources of diversity to advance our collective capabilities.
Reporting a bias incident
Creating and maintaining a respectful and welcoming environment for all to learn, work and thrive is a priority at the University of Michigan and the Office of Enrollment Management. One way to assist in this effort is for staff to report bias incidents, see something say something. The Division of Student Life has a group of professional staff, the Bias Response Team (BRT), who focus on the response and management of bias incidents involving students. The Office for Institutional Equity manages bias incidents involving staff in collaboration with human resources.
To report a bias incident, please click here.
DE&I YEAR TWO GOALS
The Office of Enrollment Management team is committed to the following priorities during fiscal year 2018:
- Utilize diverse search committees and interview teams including representatives from other OEM units and/or relevant campus departments.
- Conduct an equity feasibility review focusing on both job classifications and salaries.
- Provide quality training and information sharing for all staff paralleling the types of programs we provide for our external customers.
- Establish a common onboarding protocol for all units.
- Provide leadership, diversity and/or sensitivity training to ensure those in supervisory roles understand the climate they are creating.
- Celebrate employee recognition through yearly award ceremony, with a specific focus on diversity, equity and inclusion efforts to both build camaraderie and encourage friendly competition.
We invite you to read our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategic Plan updated for fiscal year 2018: